child custody modification

When parents initially get a child custody order, it sets out the specific schedules and other details of how they will share custody. An arrangement that worked when the order was issued might not work as well if circumstances change. We all know that as time passes and children get older, schedules and other aspects of life can change dramatically, and your child custody arrangement and parenting plan might no longer be practical – or even possible – to adhere to.

So, what can you do? It is important that you do not simply make changes on your own, as this can result in trouble with the court. If you need long-term adjustments to your child custody arrangement, you should not wait to contact a Sacramento County and Marin County child custody attorney.

Modifying Your Order

The first step in the process is to see if your child’s other parent agrees to the necessary modifications. Often, both parents will admit the need for changes, and they can agree on how to proceed moving forward. You want to have a skilled attorney draft a new agreement reflecting those changes and present the agreement to the family court so the judge can approve them.

If you cannot agree, you will need to file a petition for a modification with the family court. We will present your case in favor of a modification, which involves:

  • Showing there has been a substantial change in circumstances
  • Showing the modification is in the best interests of the child

Let Our Sacramento County and Marin County Child Custody Lawyer Protect Your Parental Rights

If you need help changing your child custody arrangement, you should not delay in consulting with Mason Law Office. Contact us online or call us in Sacramento County at (916) 587-2997 and in Marin County at (415) 326-6321 for a meeting today.